Your resume is often the only chance you have to grab a recruiters’ attention and get you to that next step, a job interview. Below are the top 8 resume writing tips to help you get started on creating that all important document.
- Update your email address – If you’re still using a cute email address from high school, it’s time for an update. A professional email address should use your initials or your full name, nothing else. (i.e. firstinitiallastname@
gmail.com or firstname. email@example.com)
- Use clean, easy to read fonts – keep fonts sized between 9 and 12 points. You want your resume to be pleasing to the eye for the person reading it.
- Use a clean, well spaced layout – similar to the last point, layout is important for readability. Negative space is your friend.
- Start with your most recent experience first – The order of your job experience should be from newest to oldest. List relevant accomplishments as bullet points under each job. Consider limiting this section to the last two positions, including start and end dates.
- Keep your resume succinct, to the point, and restricted to one page – A few short, well-worded bullet points per section is all that is needed. If your resume runs over one page, it’s time to shorten it. Check your layout and font size as well as your content for adjustments to save on space.
- Proofread – Spelling and grammar are important. One mistake can cost you a callback.
- Tailor each resume to the job you are applying for – Use keywords that may have been listed on the job description or that fit the specific position. If possible, include a cover letter to introduce yourself, show that you have done your research on the company, and the job you’re applying for is important to you. Potential employers want to see enthusiasm from potential employees.
- Consider using a template to help your resume stand out – Today’s job seekers are looking for ways to grab potential employers’ attention. One surefire way is to have a well designed, unique resume.
We hope these tips help make the process of writing the perfect resume easier. Do you have any tips to add? Let us know in the comments!
Have a question? Contact Culmin – the top staffing agency serving South Florida, New Jersey and California!
Are you a job seeker? Don’t forget to check out our current opportunities on the Culmin job board!
7 Key Tips for Job Interviews
Congratulations, you got the interview. Now what? Whether it’s over the phone, online, or in person, you want to be prepared to make the best possible impression. Here are 7 key tips for job interviews. Arrive early. At least 10 minutes early. Not only to give yourself time to settle but to show how …